How did Fleecydale, Pennsylvania get it’s name? This page provides a brief history about the naming of Fleecydale, Pennsylvania, the people who settled it, and the industry rising within it.
Hamlet in Paunaucussing Creek valley in northwestern Solebury Township on the road from Carversville to Lumberville, about a quarter mile northeast of Carversville. The name is derived from a fleece or carding mill built in 1811, according to the datestone in the chimney. 1 A clover mill, known as “Fleecy Dale Mills,” was operated there by Philip Fretz in 1834. In Fretz’s advertisement in the Bucks County Intelligencer of December 24, 1834, this mill is described as “situated on the new road from Milton to Lumberville.” This road is often called Milton Road in old documents, as in a deed of Black to Yothers, Plumstead Township, April 30, 1806. The miller offered to “clean clover seed for one-tenth instead of one-eighth, as formerly-that is one bushel toll out of every ten bushels cleaned.” Some of the most attractive scenery in Paunaucussing valley is to be found in and near Fleecydale.
Source: MacReynolds, George. Place Names in Bucks County Pennsylvania, 2nd Edition. Doylestown, PA: The Bucks County Historical Society, 1955.Footnotes:
- Photograph in possession of Miss Mary S. Paxson, Doylestown, taken 50 years ago, shows the ruins of this old mill, with the chimney and datestone.