Allegheny County

Divorces Granted by the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania from December, 1785, until 1801

These records are an extraction from Pennsylvania Supreme Court records of the divorces granted under its’ authority from 1785-1801. I am not certain why the original transcription did not include divorces between 1801 and 1804, the time in which it still held responsibility for granting such. The original publication within the manuscript did not have any accompanying text to the actual records themselves. The order is as found within the original article.

Class of 1907, Pennsylvania College for Women

Chatham University Publications

This collection contains publications from the Chatham University Archives, including the long-running alumni magazine, campus literary magazines, select issues of the student newspaper, yearbooks 1915-2010, course catalogs, and a history of the institution’s first ninety years. All of these books, can be read, and/or downloaded from this page for free!

Pittsburg Christian Advocate

1834-1870 Deaths and Marriages Gleaned from the Pittsburgh Christian Advocate

The Pittsburgh Conference Journal began publication February 1, 1834. On October 28, 1840 the name was changed to The Pittsburgh Christian Advocate. It continued for ninety-eight years until, having become a casualty of the depression, it was merged with The New York Christian Advocate. Throughout its history The Pittsburgh Christian Advocate was published in Pittsburgh. During the entire time it served all the territory of the original Pittsburgh Conference, thus serving Erie, North-East Ohio, West Virginia and Pittsburgh Conferences. The publication started with a circulation of about 700, costing $2.00 per annum. It consisted of four pages, 13” x 21” …

1834-1870 Deaths and Marriages Gleaned from the Pittsburgh Christian Advocate Read More »

Prison Records from the Allegheny County Workhouse and Inebriate Asylum

The Allegheny County Workhouse was a prison that was located adjacent to the town of Blawnox, Pennsylvania. Its full name was “Allegheny County Workhouse and Inebriate Asylum”. The first inmates were received in 1869, and the facility closed in 1971. The prison housed mostly inmates convicted of minor offenses. Many of those prisoners maintained a farm of about 1100 acres (445 ha), which contained apple orchards as well as many other crops and many different types of farm animals. The records of the Allegheny County Workhouse consist of minute books of the Board of Managers, 1866-1971, 11 volumes; oaths of officials, 1888-1912, 1 volume; visitors’ records, 1871-1880, 1 volume; account books, 1866-1940, 9 volumes; and various population records (admission and discharge books, 1870-1877, 3 volumes; conduct books, 1870-1906, 1915-1919, 8 volumes; discharge and descriptive dockets, 1873-1971, 24 volumes; daily sick call books, 1896-1940, 18 volumes; escaped prisoners records, 1882-1971, 3 volumes; hospital record books, 1913-1939, 6 volumes; prison registers, 1869-1951, 17 volumes; punishment books, 1870-1873, 1880-1892, 1904-1959, 7 volumes; and hard labor registers, 1869-1971, 24 volumes. Included are 11 annual reports (printed) partially covering the period 1873-1899, and a typed manuscript entitled “Feeding of Inmates of Allegheny County Workhouse,” by E. W. Tillotson, Jr., and W. A. Hamor. This article comprises a collection of records for the Allegheny County Workhouse and Inebriate Asylum throughout it’s 102 year existence from 1869-1971. Most of these manuscripts can only be seen in person at the Pennsylvania State Archives, but some of them have been digitized and can now be seen online. It should be assumed if there is no online link to a database or manuscript, than that data is only able to be viewed in person.

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top