Class of 1907, Pennsylvania College for Women

Chatham University Publications

The University Archives housed in the Jennie King Mellon Library at Chatham University document the dynamic history of one of the earliest women’s liberal arts colleges established as a college rather than as a seminary. Chartered in 1869 as Pennsylvania Female College, the institution was founded to provide women with education “of the first class” comparable to that which men could receive at the time. In 1890, the name was changed to Pennsylvania College for Women and in 1955, Chatham College. In 2007, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania granted Chatham university status, and the name became Chatham University. Chatham remains one of the last original eastern women’s colleges that still limit baccalaureate degrees to women. Graduate programs, post-baccalaureate certifications, and programs in the College for Continuing and Professional Studies are currently open to both men and women.

This collection contains publications from the University Archives, including the long-running alumni magazine, campus literary magazines, select issues of the student newspaper, yearbooks 1915-2010, course catalogs, and a history of the institution’s first ninety years.

Pennsylvania College for Women Yearbooks

Pennsylvania College for Women Periodicals

Pennsylvania College for Women Newspapers

Chatham College Yearbooks

Chatham University Yearbooks

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top