How did Eureka, Pennsylvania get it’s name? This page provides a brief history about the naming of Eureka, Pennsylvania, the people who settled it, and the industry rising within it.
Village on the Bucks-Montgomery County boundary line, partly in Warrington Township, Bucks, and partly in Montgomery Township, Montgomery, on Route 373. It was formerly called Pleasantville and this name persisted long after a post office was established on the Montgomery side of the line and named Eureka about 1871. As to the origin of this name, Pleasantville not being available to the Post Office Department, the difficulty attending the finding of a new one was just another instance of Eureka! Pleasantville Evangelical and Reformed Church was organized in September, 1840. The church building, a red brick structure, erected the same year, is often called “Brick Church.” Starting with fifteen members, the congregation has grown into a large and flourishing church body. The centennial celebration of the church’s founding was held during the week of September 22-29, 1940. Eureka is the home of the Mary H. Walter Memorial Library.
Source: MacReynolds, George. Place Names in Bucks County Pennsylvania, 2nd Edition. Doylestown, PA: The Bucks County Historical Society, 1955.