How did Curley Hill in Pennsylvania get it’s name? This page provides a brief history about Curley Hill in Pennsylvania, the people who settled on it, and the industry rising around it.
A long incline on the old Dyer Road (Route 611), between Danboro and Plumsteadville; also the name of a hamlet in central western Plumstead Township at the intersection of Curley Hill Road and Route 611. The first school house in Plumstead was located there. Tradition says that one of its first teachers was Joseph Doan, a native of the township, who later joined the band of Doan Outlaws of Revolutionary times. In the days of the Doylestown and Easton Railway Company’s activities, a trolley booster on this hill was in charge of an engineer. For several years prior to 1926, when the railway company suspended operations, Curley Hill had a post office, John Fox, who had charge of the trolley booster, acting as postmaster. After the railway closed down, the post office was abandoned and its patrons were supplied by rural delivery. This part of the route was recently discontinued and residents now get their mail at Danboro. Diligent search has failed to reveal the origin of the name Curley Hill. The word “Curley” may be an error or a change from another word. An early name for the adjacent village of Danboro was Clover Hill, and it is possible this now forgotten name survives in the altered form of Curley Hill.
Source: MacReynolds, George. Place Names in Bucks County Pennsylvania, 2nd Edition. Doylestown, PA: The Bucks County Historical Society, 1955.