Brandywine Creek in Pennsylvania

How did Brandywine Creek in Pennsylvania get it’s name? This page provides a brief history about Brandywine Creek in Pennsylvania, the people who settled on it, and the industry rising around it.

Rises in Williams Township, Northampton County, and, flowing in a southerly direction across the northeastern part of Durham Township, empties into Durham Creek at Morgantown. In early times there was a small lake on this stream about three-fourths of a mile from its mouth. Between the lake and Durham Creek many Indian relics have been found. A short distance to the east of this part of the stream on a hilltop in the midst of an oak and chestnut forest was an open oval-shaped cleared space of about seven acres, which the earliest white settlers called Indian Field. It remained undisturbed in that condition until 1840, when the surrounding timber was cut down, buildings were erected on the field and the ground was cultivated. Carved stones, arrows, spear points, celts and amulets of a kind said to be rarely found in this part of the country were picked up from this old Indian Field. Strangely enough, there is a Morgantown Road at the headwaters of Brandywine Creck, Chester County, Pa., but as to the origin of the name Brandywine, either in Bucks or Chester, no definite information is at hand.

Source: MacReynolds, George. Place Names in Bucks County Pennsylvania, 2nd Edition. Doylestown, PA: The Bucks County Historical Society, 1955.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top