How did Farm School, Pennsylvania get it’s name? This page provides a brief history about the naming of Farm School, Pennsylvania, the people who settled it, and the industry rising within it.
Farm School is the name of a station on Doylestown Branch of the Reading Railway a mile west of Doylestown and also of a post office established at that point. The railway crosses the property of the National Farm School, from which the station and post office take their name. The National Farm School was founded in 1896 by Rabbi Joseph Krauskopf, of Philadelphia, for the purpose of teaching the children of Jewish parents both scholastic knowledge and the practical side of agriculture, but the institution is not sectarian. The course of training is designed primarily for the young man from the city. The school and its course of study is so organized that young men with this type of background are qualified upon graduation to take up the various practical pursuits of an agricultural career. At the fortieth annual commencement exercises on March 17, 1940, a class of twenty-six young men completed the three-year course in vocational agriculture. The first purchase of land by the management was the Judge Richard Watson farm, upon which most of the buildings were erected. The first group of buildings was dedicated in 1897.
Source: MacReynolds, George. Place Names in Bucks County Pennsylvania, 2nd Edition. Doylestown, PA: The Bucks County Historical Society, 1955.