How did Deep Run in Pennsylvania get it’s name? This page provides a brief history about Deep Run in Pennsylvania, the people who settled on it, and the industry rising around it.
Rises in Hilltown Township near Greers Corner and, flowing northeasterly across the entire southeastern part of Bedminster Township, empties into Tohickon Creek near Randts Mill, a mile from Pipersville. Deep Run is a name older than the township itself, which was known as “the Deep Run territory” prior to the adoption of the name Bedminster. It was so named by the first Irish settlers along the stream because of its unusual depth in comparison to its size. The removal of the heavy timber and subsequent erosion have entirely changed the character of the stream bed in many places and it is no longer deep. Deep Run Mennonite and Presbyterian Churches are located in this valley. The Deep Run school house dates back to 1746, when land for the purpose of a building was deeded to the Mennonites. The first building, a log structure, was torn down in 1842. It was first used for religious purposes, but after another building was put up as a meeting house, the old structure was used as a school house. The second school building was built about 1844. This was succeeded by the present brick building to the northward. German was exclusively taught until 1850.
Source: MacReynolds, George. Place Names in Bucks County Pennsylvania, 2nd Edition. Doylestown, PA: The Bucks County Historical Society, 1955.