How did Clayton, Pennsylvania get it’s name? This page provides a brief history about the naming of Clayton, Pennsylvania, the people who settled it, and the industry rising within it.
Small village near Lahaska Station on the Northeast Pennsylvania Railroad, about a mile southeast of Lahaska village and on the road known from early times as Street Road, which forms the boundary line between Buckingham and Solebury Townships. It is sometimes written Claytown. As to the origin of the name, Joseph E. Sandford, of Brooklyn, N. Y., suggests “that this is in all probability a survival of the enthusiasm for Henry Clay, which was incident to the locality.” Gazetteers list over thirty Clayton place names in the United States. The Bucks County branch of the Society to protect Animals from Cruelty has its headquarters at Clayton. The first name of the place was Five Points, the five points being formed by the terminus of one public road and the crossing of two others. Five Points is the extreme point in the parish boundary of the Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Doylestown.
Source: MacReynolds, George. Place Names in Bucks County Pennsylvania, 2nd Edition. Doylestown, PA: The Bucks County Historical Society, 1955.