How did Andalusia Wharf, Pennsylvania get it’s name? This page provides a brief history about the naming of Andalusia Wharf, Pennsylvania.
In days when Delaware River transportation was in its prime, this was a place of much activity. It was about a mile from Andalusia, nearly opposite Delanco, N. J., and fourteen miles from Philadelphia. It was the first stop within Bucks County for north-bound steamboats and sailing vessels. Through the trees, a few hundred yards below the landing, could be seen “Andalusia,” the beautiful country seat of the Biddies. The wharf, buildings and all surroundings were kept in excellent repair. Sloping stretches of green lawn were studded with ornamental shrubbery and trees and a paved driveway led to the wharf. Nearby was an attractive picnic ground, called “Chestnut Grove,” frequented by schools, societies and pleasure parties, most of them coming from Philadelphia. In David Scattergood’s pamphlet, Delaware River (1878), is a good engraving, executed by Scattergood himself, who was an engraver, showing the wharf and its approaches at that time, with an inset of “Andalusia” mansion.
Source: MacReynolds, George. Place Names in Bucks County Pennsylvania, 2nd Edition. Doylestown, PA: The Bucks County Historical Society, 1955.